KVNF is Hiring a News Director
Award winning rural service network, KVNF Community Radio, seeks an energetic, experienced and organized journalist to head our growing news department. The department includes a daily newscast, two locally produced weekly magazines, and a strong digital presence. Located in an area with active energy development, agriculture innovation, and public lands dilemmas, there is no shortage of newsworthy topics to cover.
Established in 1979, KVNF offers a professional and supportive work environment in a 6,000 square foot, inspiring state-of-the art broadcast facility. Headquartered in the town of Paonia, and serving a vast swath of western Colorado, the area is an outdoor person’s dream. From spectacular alpine vistas to sandstone canyons and world class river rafting KVNF’s listening area offers high quality living. For a complete description please
visit our website www.kvnf.org. No Phone calls please. KVNF is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to a fair and diverse workplace.
Position: News Director
Reports to: Program Director
Terms: Full time, salary, pay DOE
KVNF is looking for someone to build upon our existing local news effort—improve the breadth and depth of our content, strengthen existing community relationships, and make KVNF even more of a news resource for Colorado’s Western Slope. The News Director plays a key role in shaping the voice and direction of KVNF’s local news, providing leadership to ensure the evolution of high journalistic standards and quality content.
Description: The News Director is in charge of the News Department at KVNF. The ND is responsible for overseeing the editorial agenda of the News Department, creating the daily local newscast, identifying and reporting on news stories in the local community, monitoring other media sources, assigning stories to and editing volunteer/freelance reporters and supervising other news staff. KVNF’s broadcast community includes seven counties and 10,000 square miles of Colorado’s rural Western Slope.
The News Director serves as a member of the Editorial Policy Review Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential News Duties:
- Develop KVNF’s daily local newscast (Monday-Friday). Prepare daily newscast from a variety of sources, including original reporting
- Report, record and/or edit news spots, interviews, and news features for broadcast
- Select material most pertinent to the KVNF audience, and organize this material into appropriate format for newscast. Edit news material for content and length
- Train, assign and edit volunteers and freelancers within the News Department
- Continue training and working with morning host(s)
- Post and maintain news content on KVNF’s Core Publisher website
- Produce, host and edit KVNF’s weekly public affairs program.
- Alternate producing monthly call-in show with Program Director.
- Monitor and schedule breaking news from NPR and local sources. Create and schedule promos for these special broadcasts.
- Meet deadlines and be responsible for completing assigned duties on time
- Provide up-to-the-minute emergency news coverage when needed
- Provide live updates and information during elections
- Engage with the community as a professional, respectful representative of KVNF
- Help maintain and sign-out production equipment for staff and volunteers
- Assist with remote broadcasts, live performances and interviews as needed
- Assist in fundraising efforts and community outreach such as membership drives and events when needed. Will include occasional nights/weekends
- Assist with office operations: answering phone, public relations, station tours and on-air hosting as needed
- Attend and participate in all general staff meetings
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- At least 2 years experience in radio and/or print journalism; demonstrated reporting skills (work samples required)
- Knowledge of Western issues (water, energy, agriculture, public lands)
- Strong interest in local news and public affairs
- Strong verbal and writing skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks, practice effective time management and work independently
- Ability to work well with a large and diverse group of volunteers, as well as other staff and freelancers
- On-air skills and knowledge of broadcast and digital recording equipment
- Computer skills a must (Microsoft Office, PC Platform, email, web); digital editing experience required
- Web and social media skills/experience preferred
- Community radio and/or nonprofit experience a plus
- Cover letter
- Two letters of reference
- Three (3) work samples (radio and/or print)
Applications must be submitted by mail. No Phone calls. Position is open until filled.
KVNF Community Radio
News Director Search
PO Box 1350
Paonia, CO 81428
KVNF is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to a fair and diverse workplace.